Hey, I'm Nick Ang.
I'm a software developer and instructor from Singapore 🇸🇬
This is my digital garden, where I sow new ideas, tend to the growing and matured ones, and occasionally prune the undesirable.
Like a real-life garden, you shoud expect some organised chaos when you browse the blog.
- My digital garden
- General Assembly Singapore review
- What I learned about progrmaming bootcamps
- Anthony Bourdain killed a red stag
- Do individual efforts matter?
- Same product, different brands
- 07.10 Not now
- 07.05 What is a Personal Knowledge Management system (PKM)?
- 06.28 Word rafting
Welcome to my digital garden!
A bit more about me
I was born in Singapore, lived there my whole life, and am currently living in Berlin, Germany. At almost 30 years old, making this move remains one of my proudest accomplishments because I have dreamed since I was in primary school to experience life abroad. So I guess that means I am living my dream.
Professionally, I am a software engineer. I am not a "10x engineer". I think my strengths are my ability to learn and teach, and my soft skills, which are currently being put to use at my full-time job as a Service Operations Engineer at Smartly.io, a Finnish advertising technology company.
I’ve taught close to 100 strangers and some colleagues how to code from scratch and it gave me a first taste of being consequential in people’s lives. I hope to continue to be useful to people beyond the confines of my full-time employment and this site exists to help me fulfil that hope.
- I am married, no children yet. We have a toy poodle called Brownie who has his own Instagram account
- I once tried to create a "laptop for writers" as a startup and I failed, and I am unironically writing this on a product created afterwards by Astrohaus called the Freewrite. I love my Freewrite
- I majored in Environmental Studies at the National University of Singapore (NUS) and don't remember 95 percent of the content. The other 5 percent I rely on everyday to help me think about problems and potential solutions
I collated some things that I would recommend, like podcasts and blogs, in the Recommendations corner.
So, that's me in brief. Send me a tweet if you have something you want to talk about!