Hey, I'm Nick Ang.
I'm a guy from Singapore, currently living in Berlin. 👋
This is my digital garden, where I sow new ideas, tend to the growing and matured ones, and occasionally prune the undesirable. It's open for visitation.
But like a real-life garden, expect organised chaos when you browse the blog.
- 11.22 Why You Might Want to Disengage From Politics
- 11.15 Language should be a joy
- 11.08 Are we not all scientists?
- 11.01 Writing a book during NaNoWriMo 2020
- 10.25 Not interested in mastery
- I'm not sorry for being confused
- What I learned about progrmaming bootcamps
- Anthony Bourdain killed a red stag
- Do individual efforts matter?
- My problems are mine to bear
I was born in Singapore, lived there my whole life, and am currently living in Berlin, Germany. At 30, making this move remains one of my proudest accomplishments because I have dreamed since I was in primary school to experience life abroad. So I guess that means I am living my dream.
Professionally, and I should say at the moment, I am a software engineer. My strengths are my ability to learn and teach. I currently work full-time as a service operations engineer at Smartly.io, a Finnish ad-tech company.
I'm proud of the fact that I’ve taught close to 100 people (strangers and colleagues) how to code from scratch.
- I'm married and have a toy poodle Brownie who has his own Instagram account
- Once I tried to create a "laptop for writers" as a startup that failed. Now I unironically write on a product created (later) by another company Astrohaus. They call it the Freewrite and I love my Freewrite
- My major is in Environmental Studies from NUS. I don't remember 95 percent of what I learned but rely on the other 5 percent every moment to help me think about the world
I collated some things that I would recommend, like podcasts and blogs, in the Recommendations corner.