What better way to explore the differences between a blog vs vlog than on a blog about a vlog?
This was my first attempt to put together a “talking head” video. Call it what you want, I think it’s basically a vlog, and I consider it my first foray into vlogging. Having blogged for several years more or less consistently now, I think I’ve matured enough to want to try a different medium, as was shared in my New Year’s resolution for 2018.
Things I learned from making this video:
- I make weird mouth noises when I talk
- Video and text are different mediums and they may each be good at certain types of content, which I will find out gradually
- Writing has a place in video-making. It makes thoughts clearer before they are presented audio-visually
- Interweaving snippets of daily life with talking head snippets is a simple and effective structure for keeping attention (though I still need a lot of practice to execute this well)
- Publishing a video puts more (of myself) on the line than a blog post, but that’s no reason not to try!